I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions as I always fail on them anyway. I am however a lover of “best of” or “best kept” secrets list, so I wanted to share with you the top 5 Best Kept Secrets of the Adams County Library System as you try to abide by your New Year’s Resolution. The mission of the Adams County Library System is to “Open Gateways for Exploration.” The library does this by connecting people to opportunities to enrich their lives and that of the communities around all of Adams County. Here are 5 reasons why the Adams County Library System is one of the best kept secrets in the county!
1. Did you know the Adams County Library System has free meeting rooms with audio/visual in four of our six locations? The Gettysburg Library, Littlestown Library, Harbaugh-Thomas Library in Biglerville, and the Jean Barnett Trone Memorial Library in East Berlin all have a combination of public meeting and private study rooms. All public meeting rooms have audio/visual equipment that can be borrowed. Adams County residents and businesses can rent the meeting rooms and private study rooms by calling their local branch or registering online at www.adamslibrary.org/reserve-room.
2. The Adams County Library System provides “business” services for patrons in all of our six library locations. This includes, copier and printing services at .10 cents per page for black and white and .25 cents per page for color copying. Free wifi and public computers are available in all libraries to take care of any of your online needs. Faxing services are available in each location for $1 per fax. Need to know how to do something online or on your device? Contact your local library location and staff will be happy to help as best we can.
3. For residents of Adams County who have mobility issues or are homebound, the library will come to you! The Adams County Library System provides “Library by Mail.” This service to any homebound library member who has a current library card is available for free. Here is how it works... The Library will send you three to four items at a time through the mail. When you return those items by mail, new materials will be sent. The loan period is three weeks and overdue fines are not charged. Once set up by filling out the online or hard copy application, you have several ways to select materials which will be discussed with you at the time of application.
4. So many wonderful electronic services are available on our website, www.adamslibrary.org. A couple which are particularly awesome are Freegal Music and Brainfuse JobNow. Freegal Music gives you access to hundreds of thousands of songs in the Sony Music Catalog. Sonars are in DRM-Free MP3 format. You can download five songs each week for free and keep for free. You can also stream music through Freegal for up to three hours every day. Featured playlists are available or you can search for your own. Brainfuse JobNow is a wonderful service that features Homework help in a multitude of subjects, provides live job coaching and interview practice, resume assistance and so much more. Both of these resources are available under the “Elibrary” tab on our homepage.
5. Finally, did you know that the Adams County Library System is a 501c3 organization? Well we are and are able to provide all of these wonderful secrets and so much more to you thanks to donors, businesses, and the County and State Governments. If you have time or talents or a few extra dollars, please consider donating or volunteering with the Adams County Library System. All monetary donations are tax deductible.
So I said there were only 5 best kept secrets… but I also have a tiny bonus secret. Library cards, with access to all of our resources in the library and through our website, are free. All you need to do is provide proof of residency in Adams County and fill out a short form. Library cards can be received in person at any library location or online through our website, www.adamslibrary.org. We look forward to seeing you at the library in 2020!
Brandt A. Ensor, Assistant Director, Adams County Library System.